"Just as the wave cannot exist for itself, but is ever a part of the heaving surface of the ocean, so must I never live my life for itself, but always in the experience which is going on around me."
Longs Peak (East Face), Front Range, Colorado, 1947
Lois Huston on her horse
"1. Don’t ever tell anyone they look tired.
2. Help people, and if you offer to help someone, follow through.
3. Be kind to people who work in retail and food service.
4. Let someone know you’re not interested.
5. Actually “hang out sometime.”
6. Be a little more honest.
7. Stop calling each other mean names on the internet.
8. Send more letters (not emails) and gifts.
9. Give more genuine complements.
10. Have more patience while waiting in lines."
— they’re calling…
"be gentle. fill yourself up with love instead of hate. fill yourself up with art, books, knowledge, experiences. surround yourself with people who have nothing but love to give. these things are important. they will help you learn how to live, and to love."
#alaska #dukeinalaska #glacier